Title and statement of responsibility area
W. Randle Iredale fonds
General material designation
- Photographic material
- Architectural drawing
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title the of fonds is based on its provenance.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1964 - 1978 (Creation)
- Iredale, W. Randle
Physical description area
2 cm of textual records
4 contact sheets
8 bound volumes of architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
W. Randle Iredale is one of the contributors to the architecture of Simon Fraser University. He and his partner, William R. Rhone, were responsible for designing and building the Science Complex according to design specifications outlined by Erickson and Massey (the architects responsible for the overall design of the university). Rhone and Iredale built the Science Complex in three phases based on preliminary drawings by Erickson and Massey, but added their own ideas and innovations to the building.
Iredale was born in Calgary, Alberta in 1929. In 1955 he received a degree in architecture from the University of British Columbia, and went to work for McCarter and Nairne until Iredale was registered in 1957. He had his own practice from 1957 to 1959, and then formed a partnership with William R. Rhone. In 1963 Rhone and Iredale submitted an entry to the contest to design the new university that would be built on top of Burnaby Mountain. Their design finished in second place. According to the contest parameters, the top five winners would each be given a contract to build a section of the campus according to the winner's overall design. Originally, Rhone and Iredale chose the Academic Quadrangle, but changed their minds and picked the Science Complex, which Chancellor Gordon Shrum had assured them would be expanded on a regular basis. The Science Complex was built in three phases between 1964 and 1971: Phase I was substantially completed by August 1, 1965, Phase II was completed September 7, 1966 and Phase III was completed in 1971. Rhone and Iredale also designed and built the student pub, circa 1970.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records reflecting W. Randle Iredale's contribution to the architecture of Simon Fraser University. Records reflect the three phases of designing and building the Science Complex. Includes correspondence, newspaper clippings, news releases, negatives, contact sheets, slides, 8 x 10 photographs, and architectural drawings.
Immediate source of acquisition
W. Randle Iredale donated the publicity records, photographs, negatives, and slides to the SFU Archives in 1999. The architectural drawings (as bound reports) were added to the fonds in 2006 by the archivist. There is no information regarding the source or acquisition date of these drawings.
The materials were arranged by the Archivist. Photographs in file F-47-0-0-2 were removed from a photograph album and numbered according to the order in which they originally appeared. Original reference numbers for slides and negatives, where they existed, have been transcribed and preserved onto the current housing.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files may contain personal or confidential information. Access to these files may be restricted as stipulated by Archives policy or the donor. Files marked 'pending review' must be reviewed by an archivist prior to release, and as a result of the review access restrictions may apply. Please see the file lists and consult the archivist for more details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A file list is available.
Please consult the inventory for the Robert F. Harrison fonds, F-46 and the Zoltan Kiss fonds, F-48.
All accessions have been processed as of February 2006. No further accruals are expected.
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: 35 photographs located in F-47-0-0-2
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Finding aid prepared by Krisztina Laszlo, Frances Fournier, Enid Britt (January 2000).
Revised by Lisa Beitel (February 2006).
Updated by Enid Britt (March 2006).