Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Photographic material
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title is based on the contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1803 - [ca. 2014] (Creation)
- FIle F-208-1-0-0-12 contains a photocopy of a map from the 1770s.
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
On September 9, 1965 the first artifacts were donated to Simon Fraser University by descendants of Simon Fraser and members of the Fraser Clan. Donald Fraser, a great-great grandson of Simon Fraser donated several manuscripts believed to be written by Simon Fraser, while Lord Lovat, Chief of the Fraser Clan, donated a ceremonial claymore (sword) and a jewel-encrusted powder horn.
Textual records on the subject of Fraser genealogy were donated to the Archives by Barbara Rogers while Fraser family photographs have been donated to the Archives by family members from across North America. Correspondence regarding the photographs can be found in Series 3.
Copies of textual records and photographs on the subject of Simon Fraser historic sites and family property were donated to the Archives by amateur historians J. Dennis Casey and Howard Wright of Hoosick Falls, NY.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
In 1976 a number of Fraser artifacts were formally transferred to the Vancouver Centennial Museum. These items (originally bequeathed to the University from the estate of Donald Fraser) included: one pair of sterling silver shoe buckles reported to have belonged to Simon Fraser, two embroideries done by Catherine Fraser (circa 1820), three silver teaspoons engraved "M.G.F.", one large sterling spoon engraved "M.G.F.", three silver plate tablespoons engraved "F.", two bisque figurines, and a medal dated 1908 struck at New Westminster Centennial celebration of the exploration of the Fraser River.
An extended biography of Simon Fraser and a detailed content summary of the Simon Fraser Letters are included with the hard copy of the finding aid located in the SFU Archives reading room.